Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Catching Up Part 9: Sweet Bronzey Goodness!


The cast bronze shells have to cool for a few hours (which felt like an eternity to me as I paced about chain smoking) until they can be "knocked-off". A sledge hammer and air ratchet are carefully used on the sprue bars until the shell begins to crack and fall away revealing the rough bronze casting inside.

The rough casting revealed. So far, so good. Note the pile of broken
shell in which she rests.

Once the shell is busted away the castings have their sprue bars cut off with a plasma cutter. Once this is done they are placed in the sand blaster and the remaining shell is blasted off.


The remaining shell is blasted away to reveal the casting.

When the pieces were finally brought out for my inspection I must admit that I got a bit weepy. So much work, so many countless hours, so many things could go wrong... But they didn't! The castings were absolutely beautiful.

If I had had a box of cigars I would have been
handing them out at this point.

The insane amount of hours it took to rebuild this in wax
finally paid off.

Wow. Nearly defect free. I was wiping tears of joy from my eyes.

Incredible. Hugs all around.

I'd like to thank the entire crew at Madd Castings for an absolutely amazing job all around: Moose, Chris, Kim, Bonnie, Brad, Tiffany, Gayle, Jason, Peter, Derrick and all the names that I'm forgetting: THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!! I was told when I started this project that it would be "impossible" and a foolish waste of my time. I never stopped believing and neither did you guys. Thanks for making the impossible so very possible. I couldn't have done it without you all.

Next up: welding and the long drive home. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment