Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Catching Up Part 6: I Get a Little Time Off

It was right around the end of my third week in Colorado that I got to finally have a few days off. Maybe it was the crazy glint in my eye; maybe it was the coffee fueled gibberish. Whatever it was, the manager of the foundry put his arm gently around me and said, "See you in a few days, Ken!" You didn't have to tell me twice. I was about to take my first days off since March 3rd.

Heidi and I piled into her Subaru and headed West from her home in Loveland ("Gateway to the Rockies!"), up highway 34 and into the sleepy little tourist town of Estes Park. The views were outstanding.

The town of Estes Park, Colorado.

Glorious views everywhere you looked.

Once upon a time, this was my backyard.

This babbling brook cuts straight through town.

Once a beautiful foundation, now only its stony bones remain.

Just a mile or so from the Stanley Hotel, where Stephen King
wrote The Shining.

While we were relaxing next to an alpine meadow, this
little fella popped up to say hello.

The next day I decided to go and re-visit Benson Sculpture Park (in Loveland) and check out some of the amazing sculpture to be found there. I would love to help set something like this up in Lynchburg someday.

One of my friend Jane DeDecker's wonderful pieces.

I've always loved the composition on this one. It's perfect.


I remember when this first came through the foundry back in the day.
I was too busy to work on it and was sad. Gorgeous work.


My old buddy and mentor Bill Bond's whimsical work. Love it.

There are a lot of Native American sculptures throughout the park. This
is a personal favorite.

Well, that's just a taste of the hundreds of amazing bronze sculptures to be found in Benson Sculpture Park in Loveland, Colorado. It's easy to see why I flourished in the years that I lived nearby. I hope you enjoyed your visit.

Next up, back to the foundry and into the Shell Department. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment