Saturday, June 22, 2013

Phase I: Cleaning

Before I can begin the mold-making process all of the layers of old flaking paint must be removed. The reason behind this is not one of aesthetics but of practicality: the flaking paint, which resembles fish scales in places, would be captured in the mold rubber and would have to be removed during the wax-chasing process in order to get the clean finish that I'm striving for. The mold rubber that I will be using can capture the detail in an insect wing (for example) so removing as much surface "noise" as possible from the zinc casting will enable me to make a cleaner mold and reduce time and labor later on down the road.

Her arm still covered in the paint that was once applied to "preserve" her.

A close-up: you can see that I have my work cut out for me!

Hey, would you look at that; I made a clean spot!

Close-up: while some paint still remains this is at least a usable surface to mold from.


Next week I'll be back in the studio again for, you guessed it, more cleaning! This process is very time consuming so I'm going to be in Phase I for a while.  Look for more updates here as progress continues.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment